Saturday, May 8, 2021
Beauty & Health

Multiple Sclerosis Medications

Multiple sclerosis is a condition that has no known cure, but can be improved by use of medicine and lifestyle changes. With the aid of your doctor, you can find the medication that works best for you by causing the least side effects. Some disease modifying treatments for MS include;

Beta interferons: Amongst the most common MS drugs, these ease the disease’s severity as well as preventing flare ups.  They help prevent infections by lowering your white blood cells and some side effects include; fever, fatigue, aches, and chills, all which should clear within a few months. The drugs include; Avonex, Extavia, Betaseron, Rebif and Plegridy.

Glatiramer is a medication that helps curb your immune system from attacking the myelin as well as reducing relapses.

Medication pills-Teriflunomide, fingolimod, Dimethyl fumarate.

Medicine infused into a vein-Natalizumab and Ocrelizumab, Mitoxantrone and Alemtuzumab (chemotherapy).

Steroids like Methylprednisolone, Prednisone and ACTH are given intravenously or by mouth to curb flare-ups.

Plasma exchange is also employes should steroids fail to curb flare-ups.

Lifestyle changes you can make to aid in better living include; rest, healthy eating, exercise, stress management as well as staying in a cool environment.

It is advisable for all treatment seekers to seek the help of insurance organizations, keeping in mind that if uninsured, the cost of MS treatment, in its various stages, can range between $8,000 to upwards of $50,000 annually. There are programs/ schemes that offer great help to those living with multiple sclerosis by offering discounts applicable during treatment. These include:

Medicare. MS patients get help with prescription drug coverage from Medicare through either Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage plans. With its different parts, Medicare caters for most inpatient and outpatient needs through Plan A, 80% of covered services, including prescription, through Plan B, and the other 20% if you have Medigap through the original Medicare.

Medicaid. Caters for various services, including long stays in nursing homes.